Thursday, June 23, 2011

Of high pitches and elder queen bees

Yesterday I returned home from errands (about 2 hours) to find my old man dog, Ben, a complete and anxious wreck (I say old man dog with much pride as a term of endearment). He was panting hard, trembling, ears pinned back, eyes dilated, head warm... and pools of drool all over the kitchen, the hallway and in my office. Seriously, looked like glasses of water (slimy water) were spilled everywhere. This also happened the day before when I was outside washing the car. You see, Ben, in the last year, has become extremely noise sensitive... I think this is due to the fact that at 13 years, his hearing is almost gone... except for high pitch noises. Imagine going about a completely silent day and then you hear a noise and it knocks your socks off. That's what has been happening. It took him over an hour to ease up completely.

The source of this noise is our little foster Janey. If I am gone for too long, she barks... I don't even need to go somewhere in a car. When I walk the dogs, wash the car... I can hear her. Dogs bark, I get it. I even encourage it for times when it is appropriate. I am careful to only re-enter the house when she is not barking. It's not endless barking, I would say an intermittent constant, not excessive by any means. It's not a squeaky bark (like some BCs I know) but it is still higher pitched bark. Molly's barking is not a problem for Ben. It's high pitches + Ben = anxious, drooly, trembly Ben.

Dogs bark, I get it. This really wouldn't even be an issue except for the fact that it throws Ben into a complete tizzy. Prob be safe to say it is not good for him to be in that kind of physical emotional state - he was a wreck. Ben's never had to deal with high-pitched barking in close quarters like this before. He cannot leave the situation the way he can head back indoors when a neighbor's shrieky dog is left out all day.

Janey previously ignored a frozen yogurt banana stuffed Kong, which I had left for her in her crate with a Nylabone. But I found that she likes a kibble and wet food frozen Kong! So when I go out I will leave 2 of these for her plus her Nylabone. Hopefully those will keep her busy long enough and then make her tired enough to sleep. Some drops of RR in her water bowl should help too. A Kong busy dog = not a barking dog. A sleeping dog = not a barking dog. So paws (Ben) and fingers (mine) crossed.

On the other dog front, Janey for now appears to have realized that Molly is the elder, the queen bee, and is to be respected. Of course I know down the line Janey may want to test the line again, but for now I am very happy that those two can share my space without getting worked up over eachother.

Hours later at 7pm... yeah I spoke too soon, Molly and Janey tussled. I did step in on this one. Molly definitely had the advantage but the little one kept coming back at her.

No comments:

Post a Comment